Thursday, December 22, 2011

Another Homemade Cleaner

In an attempt to save some money, Matt and I have been trying some new things.  Last week I posted about making our own laundry detergent (If you haven’t read it yet, you can read it here). Soon after discovering homemade laundry detergent, my cousin told me that he makes his own dishwasher detergent.  I did some research and found that it can be hit or miss depending on your water, washer, and so forth. So I scoured the internet to find the recipe that would work best for us. I took into consideration the things I already had around my house, and settled on this combination.  
1 Cup Borax
1 Cup Baking soda
1/2 Cup Salt 
Vinegar (as a rinsing agent)


Whisk together all powdered ingredients and store in an airtight container.
Use 1.5-2 Tablespoons per load. Put the vinegar in the spot for a rinsing agent.
I have done 2 loads so far, and have been happy with the results. You will have to try it on your own to see if it works for you. 
As for the price. It is much cheaper than the name brands, but comes out about equal with a store brand, unless you have coupons for your items. So to be sure if using homemade would be beneficial to you, you will have to do the math.  For us, using homemade was cheaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment