Friday, October 21, 2011

Holiness Over Happiness

On Sundays and Wednesdays, our church has been doing small groups.  Matt and I are attending one called “Sacred Marriage.” It is a video series by Gary Thomas. The whole premise is about marriage making us holy rather than happy. I had never thought of marriage in that context. But I now realize it is true. Just like anything in life, our happiness is secondary to becoming holy, wether it be work, children, friends, or marriage. Deuteronomy 6:5 says You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.”  That means love God with your total being.  This also means love him above your pleasures and want of happiness. I have realized that sometimes we as humans make happiness an idol in our hearts. How often do we  think things like, “I should not be treated this way” or “Don’t these people know I have somewhere to be.”  When it comes down to it, we are being selfish, thinking only of ourselves, and becoming like the people we are frustrated with. We strive to be the best, sometimes not caring about the feelings of other. Once again our pursuit of happiness takes on the face of selfishness. Now I know that happiness is not a sin, but when we strive for it above holiness, it becomes an idol of the heart. Stuart Scott says that an idol is anything we “serve, speak about, sacrifice for, seek after, spend time and money on, and trust.”  Too often we are seeking our own happiness rather than the precepts of God. If we would stop and strive for holiness, true happiness would be the reward. “If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love.These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full. John 15: 10-11(Emphasis added).

While writing this post, this song came to mind.

Holiness, holiness is what I long for. 
Holiness is what I need,
 Holiness, holiness is what You want from me 
Faithfulness, faithfulness is what I long for
Faithfulness is what I need
Faithfulness, faithfulness is what You want from me 
Righteousness, righteousness is what I long for
Righteousness is what I need
Righteousness, righteousness is what you want from me 
Take my heart and form it
Take my mind, transform it
Take my will, conform it
To Yours, to Yours, Oh Lord
Written By: Scott Underwood


No comments:

Post a Comment